Additional SD Child Care Funding Available | Community


PIERRE — Governor Kristi Noem is making additional grants available to help child care providers licensed and registered with the South Dakota Department of Social Services (DSS).

This is a second round of $60 million Stabilization Grant funding through the American Rescue Plan Act (ARPA) of 2021 to help support child care providers and caregivers. families affected by COVID-19. Initial funding of $35.4 million was provided to 676 child care providers this spring.

“Helping stabilize South Dakota child care providers strengthens our communities,” said DSS Cabinet Secretary Laurie Gill. “Childcare is a critical part of keeping our economy strong, but more importantly, access to quality providers is crucial for families.”

Subsidies are based on the provider’s average monthly spend. Funding is available to child care providers who have previously received grants as well as new providers registered and licensed by DSS at the time of application. Applications are accepted until June 15.

Providers who have received previous grants will receive an additional two months of operating expenses up to a cap. Providers who did not receive a grant will receive five months of operating expenses up to a cap. As with the first round of ARPA Child Care Stabilization Grants, funds must be spent on operating expenses.

Additional information about ARPA Child Care Stabilization Grants is available at

The DSS provides assistance to low-income families who need help with child care costs while the parents work or attend school. Additional information, including an online application, is available at or by calling Child Care Services at 1-800-227-3020.

The DSS also provides oversight, technical assistance and support in promoting safe, healthy and caring environments for children through licensing, registration and quality improvement activities. Information about state child care registration or licensing is available at or by calling an Office of Licensing and Accreditation representative at 1-800 -227-3020.


About Author

Comments are closed.